Nausea is an uneasy and discomforting feeling to let out the stomach contents. In simple words, it’s a feeling of sickness. While nausea is a feeling of vomiting, vomiting is when you throw up or let out the stomach content through the mouth.
What causes nausea and vomiting?
- Morning sickness during pregnancy- it’s a nausea and vomiting feeling when you are going to get a baby. It is usually seen in the morning, hence the name morning sickness.
- Gastroenteritis- an infection of the intestine and other infections in the intestine. It is characterised by the inflammation of the lining of the stomach and intestine. Symptoms are diarrhoea and vomiting.
- Migraines- They are recurring types of headaches. It is a throbbing or pulsating type of headache of moderate to severe intensity. It has symptoms like nausea & weakness.
- Motion sickness- it is seen in children and pregnant women & due to medications in some people when they travel by boat, plane, car & bus. It has symptoms like nausea & vomiting.
- Food poisoning- poisoning of food due to infection from bacteria and viruses is called food poisoning. Symptoms depend on the cause of food poisoning. The symptoms are usually mild. These include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, dehydration & upset stomach.
- Medicines for diseases like cancer chemotherapy- it is used to treat cancer through chemicals. It works by lessening the chance of its return or stopping the growth. Some common side effects of cancer chemotherapy include nausea, vomiting, pain, and fatigue.
- GERD & ulcers (Gastro-esophageal reflux disease) are characterised by the backflow of the stomach contents to the mouth.
- Intestinal obstruction
- Emotions such as severe worry or stress
- Drugs like marijuana and opioids
How to manage nausea & vomiting
- Do not move around much while you feel nauseated. Sit calmly in one place, as it may worsen while moving around.
- Make it a habit to drink 8-10 glasses of water daily. Drink a few fruit juices if you need a bit of taste. ORS is rich in minerals, which can be taken post-vomiting.
- You can have nausea & vomiting medicine to manage it.
- Divide your meals. Split 3-time meals into 6-8 portions per day.
- A bland diet is recommended when you feel nauseated & vomit up. These include bread, noodles, rice, banana, baked chicken & potatoes.
- Do not lie down immediately after eating your food.
- Do not eat your food when you feel a bad taste inside your mouth. Rinse your mouth with warm water before you eat.
- Find a pleasant place to eat that is free of strong odors and distractions.
Apart from dietary habits, changes in lifestyle can also alter the course. Of your illness. These include;
- Try sucking some hard candies and rinse your mouth with water.
- Get outside the home to breathe in some fresh air; this will make you feel less nauseated.
- Distract yourself from thinking about nausea; watch TV or listen to music.
- Certain foods should be totally avoided as this will further aggravate the feeling of nausea & vomiting.
Foods to be avoided include;
- Avoid foods that have a strong odor.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol & carbonated drinks.
- Avoid spicy foods
- Avoid dairy foods as they may aggravate feelings of flatulence and diarrhoea.
As we have seen, the causes of nausea and vomiting may be a time when the nausea and vomiting cannot be controlled or handled in this situation. Visit your doctor immediately and buy medicine online or at a physical medical store.
The reasons why you have to visit the doctor:
- When you vomit more than three times a day
- Feel the nausea for more than two days
- Feel weak
- Have fever
- Have stomach pain
- Have not passed urine for more than 8 hours